Factors Affecting Academic Performance at Primary Leaving Certificate in Universal Primary Education Schools in Uganda: A case of Lubaga Division
Mohamed, Ibrahim Hersi
Ssesanga Supervisor, Karim(Supervisor)
MetadataShow full item record
This study was carried out to investigate the factors affecting pupil academic performance at PLE in UPE schools in Lubaga division, in Uganda. It was undertaken to examine institutional leadership, parental involvement and school facilities and how each of these affects pupil academic performance. The researcher adopted a descriptive research design. Data were collected using closed ended questionnaires and interview guides. 175 respondents were selected out of a total population of 320 individuals by use of simple random and purposive sampling techniques. Pearson’s correlation coefficients were used to establish the relationship between the study variables. A stepwise multiple regression analysis was also carried out to establish the best predictor variable to academic performance of pupils. The correlations revealed that all the three factors (institutional leadership, parental involvement and school facilities) had a significant positive effect on academic performance of pupils. On the other hand, a multiple regression analysis revealed that school facilities was the most significant variable predicting up to 74.1% variation in pupil academic performance. This was followed by parents’ involvement, which contributes a further 5.3% to pupil academic performance. Thus, school facilities and parents’ involvement contribute a total of 79.4% to pupil academic performance in UPE schools in Lubaga Division. It was therefore concluded that all the three factors had a significant positive effect on academic performance of pupils. Among others, the study recommended that institutional leaders in these schools need to carry out regular monitoring and assessment of teachers to ensure that they effectively carry out their duties. In addition, school management should strengthen parent-school relationship by surrendering local decision-making power to the parents. Similarly, the government and other stakeholders need to increase its funding towards provision of school facilities like classrooms, furniture, computers, and scholastic materials like books, pens, uniforms and teachers houses.